Re: st: continuous data measured as ordinal catogories

From   Shehzad Ali <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: continuous data measured as ordinal catogories
Date   Fri, 9 Apr 2010 14:09:22 +0000 (GMT)

Thank you, Richard, Maaten and Clive. These are all very helpful suggestions.

I want to use willingness-to-pay as the dependent variable. The category 'other' includes random amounts that are may be less or greater than the highest amount category (i.e. $10). These 'other' amounts account for around 10% of the data. I assume that using the response categories of $1, $5, $10 and 'other amounts' as a continuous variable would be inappropriate, or would it?

Many thanks,
Shehzad