st: problem with merge

From   Stefano Bonini <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: problem with merge
Date   Thu, 8 Apr 2010 10:50:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hi folks

I have an inextricable issue with merge:
I have two datasets: "A" with a list of deals for which I know the investor (investors are duplicated because one investor can easily invest in more than one deal) and B with the full population of investors (hence unique obs) and their characteristics, such as location, assets, etc. Investors are stored by their names therefore those are and must be string variables. I also have missing obs in A (my master) because for some deals I don't  know who invested.
I am trying to merge the two sets to add the investor's characteristics (contained in B) to each deal. I confidently tried to merge them but the procedure doesn't match. Visual inspection confirms me that there should be matches (I mean, _merge=3) but the command returns just _merge=1 or 2.
I checked the formats, blanks and everything i could but I just can't make it work.
Any clue on what may cause this weird behavior?
Thanks!

--
Stefano Bonini
Visiting Associate Professor