st: Survival data - stset problem

From   Johan Hellstrom <johan.hellstrom@pol.umu.se>
To   " (statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu)" <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: Survival data - stset problem
Date   Thu, 8 Apr 2010 14:41:07 +0200

Dear Stata-users,

I have question regarding how to set up failure-time data in Stata.
In my dataset (an unbalanced  panel of data on governments  from 1945-2009) I have a proportional time-variable, i.e. the relative duration time measuring if government cabinets survives a whole term for which is elected, where 1 indicates that is stays in power for a whole term and e.g. 0.5 the cabinet dissolves after half a term. It is possible to use such a variable for setting up failure-time data in Stata?

I also have the start date and end date of cabinets, but since the time-variable above also contains qualitative judgements (of experts) what constitutes an failure, e.g.  as some countries does not have fixed terms, it would be appropriate to use the relative duration variable described above.

Thanks,
Johan Hellström