st: encrypt an ID

From   Jeph Herrin <>
Subject   st: encrypt an ID
Date   Wed, 07 Apr 2010 15:05:02 -0400

This has come up before in the archives, but the
answer has not, so worth trying again.

I have a dataset with individuals who have 9 digit
numeric identifiers. I need to encrypt these identifiers
uniquely (ie, in a way that I can unencrypt them later
if needed). The encrypted key can be numeric or string.

I can do something silly like move the digits around
according to some pattern I invent, but would be nice if
there were something more robust available - is there?
If not existing Stata code, maybe an existing alogorithm
that isn't too difficult to implement?