Re: st: RE: RE: RE: Undocumented limitation of describe (and hence -ds-) in Stata 10?

From   "Michael I. Lichter" <mlichter@buffalo.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: RE: Undocumented limitation of describe (and hence -ds-) in Stata 10?
Date   Wed, 07 Apr 2010 13:38:33 -0400

Thank you, Nick and Martin. I set myself up for a sucker punch in my last message.

Still, even if single quotes can evaluate lots of different kinds of things, and r(varlist) is not a local macro kind of thing, what kind of thing *is* r(varlist) and what are the rules governing its use? Is it a function returning the contents of a macro, or something else? (And what are the other kinds of returns, like e(b), which acts more like a matrix than like the contents of a matrix, and yet does not support subscripting?)

Nick, thanks for the tip about your tips book. I do have a copy ... if only I could find it ... :(

Michael