Re: st: length of a returned local using rclass

From   "Michael I. Lichter" <mlichter@buffalo.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: length of a returned local using rclass
Date   Tue, 06 Apr 2010 15:10:07 -0400

Antonis,

What entry in the base reference is that under? I'd like to look that up in the Stata 10 manuals. Thanks.

-ml

A Loumiotis wrote:
Did you enclose your r(macro) in single quotes?

Page 1673 of the Base Reference states the following technical note:

For r(macro), you are supposed to refer to it in quotes: `r(macro)'.
If, however, you omit the
quotes in an expression context, Stata evaluates the macro and then
pretends that it is the result of
function-returning-string. There are side effects of this, the most
important being that the result is
trimmed to 80 characters.

Antonis