st: AW: Detach value label from string var

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: Detach value label from string var
Date   Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:34:47 +0200

What does "importing a dataset" mean? The effect does not seem to occur

sysuse auto, clear
outsheet using myfile.csv, comma replace
insheet using myfile.csv, comma clear
la dir
codebook, p

-codebook- returns "make" as a "string var with embedded blanks", but how is
this issue connected to any -label-?

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Kaulisch, Marc
Gesendet: Dienstag, 6. April 2010 15:32
Betreff: st: Detach value label from string var

Another problem I cannot solve myself:
By importing a dataset all variables get label values attached - also
string vars. This leads to "string vars with embedded blanks" by
codebook, p.

For numeric vars with empty value labels I used:
. label values `r(labelnotfound)' .

. label values `r(str_embedded)' .
does not work.

I even can not do this via the Variables Manager. Any idea how to do