st: findname question

From   Eduardo Nunez <>
Subject   st: findname question
Date   Tue, 6 Apr 2010 08:13:32 -0400

Dear statalisters,

I had a dataset where binary variables (1/0) were presented as (1/.);
I tried to use findname to identify those variables,
in order to replace missing values with zeroes.

findname, all(@==1|@==.) local(varname) varwidth(30)
foreach varname of varlist `varname' {
       replace `varname'=0 if `varname'==.

However it seems that the name of these variables weren't stored in a
local macro `varname'.
Is it that what the option local(macname) is supposed to do?

Thank you,