st: ivreg2 cannot produce first-stage result

From   Mo Phil <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: ivreg2 cannot produce first-stage result
Date   Tue, 6 Apr 2010 08:24:53 +0800

Dear All,

I used the following ivreg2 to estimate an IV-regression, but could
not produce the first-stage result.

.  ivreg2 my_y $xfirm $year_dummies choice_dummy (= choice_sic3),   first

Unable to display first-stage estimates; macro e(first) is missing

Unable to display summary of first-stage estimates; macro e(first) is missing

I browsed the Statalist, found a similiar posting, but the suggested
answer is that if OLS is used in the second stage, there is no
first-stage results.

But I actually used the same command syntax in another setting some
months ago, it worked.

I would appreciated any suggestions on how to obtain the first stage result.

Thanks
Phil

If you're using OLS in the second stage, then you have no endogenous
regressors.  This means there is no first stage, which explains why
ivreg2 does't report them.

Cheers,
Mark