st: RE: xt data, D and L operators and sort

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: xt data, D and L operators and sort
Date   Mon, 5 Apr 2010 08:53:37 -0700

Have you consider preserve and restore before and after unsorting?

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Neal Beck
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2010 8:15 AM
Subject: st: xt data, D and L operators and sort

I seem to be unsorting (from the natural xt sort order) my panel data quite frequently. So then stata complains about the data being unsorted when I use lag and difference operators. Yup, I can remember to say xtset before issueing a command using D. or L. if I think I might have resorted the data (one never quite knows). But is there no equivalent for xt
bys var: which got rid of the annoying need to issue a sort command before by:. Obviously my first pref by far would be to have stata always sort my data when it sees D. or L. with xt data. Am I mssing something obvious here?

Neal Beck
On leave AY 2009 at the Instituto Juan March, Madrid Spain