Re: st: collapse with fweights

From   Steve Samuels <>
Subject   Re: st: collapse with fweights
Date   Thu, 1 Apr 2010 10:44:57 -0400

I think that is the proper behavior. A  frequency  weight of zero is
special: it implies that there is _no_  observation with the variable
value combination recorded on the data line.*  If that's not true,
then do a separate -collapse, sum- on "vars2" without the [fw] option
and -merge- with the result of the other -collapse-.

*There is a similar justification for ignoring zero values of the
other kinds of weights.

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Eric Sigurdson
<> wrote:
> collapse (sum) vars1 (rawsum) vars2 [fw = fweight]
> The manual states that the computation of `rawsum' should ignore the
> specified weight, but I find that the sum  this command puts out does
> not include any of the observations of vars2 for which fweight=0 ,
> despite the (rawsum) specification. Is there any way to stop this
> behavior, or perhaps some better way to approach processing the data
> in this manner?

Steven Samuels
18 Cantine's Island
Saugerties NY 12477