st: Goal seeker in Stata?

From   "Michael Hofmann" <michael.hofmann@tu-dresden.de>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: Goal seeker in Stata?
Date   Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:57:15 +0200

Hello everybody,

I?m  looking for something similar to the goal seeker feature in Excel. I
calculated the average income tax rate for given values of taxable income:

Average_income_tax_rate = Income_tax (taxable_income)/taxable_income

But I need the taxable income for given values of average income tax rate.
Unfortunately the relation between taxable income and income tax is not
straight forward and I had to use some if statements. Therefore I can not
simply rearrange the equation so that I have taxable income on the left
side.
A solution would be Stata just tries different values of taxable income
(using equation above) until it finds the value of taxable income, which
leads to the given average income tax rate.

Does such a command exist in Stata? Until now I didn?t find anything. Other
solutions for my problem are also very welcome.

Thanks,
Michael