st: RE: ivreg2 warning but ALL statistics are reported

From   "Schaffer, Mark E" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: ivreg2 warning but ALL statistics are reported
Date   Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:40:46 +0100

This is a bit odd.  Partialling-out is the right strategy, and your
results should be valid.  I don't understand, though, why ivreg2 is
still complaining about a var-cov matrix of orthogonality conditions
that isn't full rank, since, as you point out, it was able to calculate
the J stat.

We released a major update of ivreg2 not long ago.  Are you using the
most recent version?  I've got version 3.0.01 on my machine here.

We also released a version of ivreg2 that runs under Stata 9 and later,
ivreg29.  The internal code of ivreg2 and ivreg29 are rather different
(ivreg2 is heaviily Mata-ized, ivreg29 is not).  Do you get the same
output with ivreg29?

> I am slightly confused on how to treat these
> results. Are they
> valid? or does the appearance of warning suggest that further
> work needs to be
> done?
> Many thanks,
> Umid
> Umid Aliev
> Leeds University Business School
> Maurice Keyworth Building
> Leeds
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

registered under charity number SC000278.