st: string variable question

From   "Data Analytics Corp." <>
Subject   st: string variable question
Date   Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:32:06 -0400

I have two numeric variables in a Stata dataset: A1 and A2. Each has 26 elements. I want to create a third variable, brand, as part of a do program that has 26 brand names. I tried

gen str brand = "A" "B" and so on to "Z"

but that didn't work.  How can I create a brand variable?

Walter R. Paczkowski, Ph.D.
Data Analytics Corp.
44 Hamilton Lane
Plainsboro, NJ 08536