st: question about calculating frequencies

From   Ekaterina Hertog <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: question about calculating frequencies
Date   Sun, 28 Mar 2010 18:49:15 +0200

Dear Maarten,
Thank you very much for the advice!
I slightly modified your suggestion as I needed to separate variables representing the number of men and the number of women expressing interest level 1 for a given activity.
so I extended your code as follows and it worked perfectly well!

foreach var of varlist int_* {
   bys sex `var' : gen N`var' = _N if `var' == 1
   bys sex (`var') : replace N`var' = N`var'[1]
   replace N`var' = 0 if N`var' == .
}

foreach var1 of varlist Nint_* {
   gen wom`var1' = `var1' if sex==2
   replace wom`var1' = wom`var1'[_N]
   gen men`var1' = `var1' if sex==1
   replace men`var1' = men`var1'[1]
}

foreach var of varlist Nint_* { drop `var' } thanks a lot!
sincerely yours,
katya