Re: st: question about mlogit.

From   Jessica Bishop-Royse <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: question about mlogit.
Date   Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:06:02 -0400

Thanks Maarten,

This situation with the multinomial model and county level predictors
is tricky.  Theoretically speaking?  I know that others have done
research in the past on my state (Florida) using county level
predictors, and didn't find anything.  But I dont think that they used
any multilevel models (only multinomial logit).  I can't help but
think that there is a significant relationship between the county
level vars and the dependent variable... and that I am just not using
the right model.

How would you determine whether or not to leave it as is or try use
another model?

jcbr

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 5:07 AM, Maarten buis <[email protected]> wrote:
> --- On Fri, 26/3/10, Jessica Bishop-Royse wrote:
>> When I run a base model plus only the county level
>> predictors, I get limited significant results.  When
>> I include in the full model with individual level
>> indicators, almost no significant results.  Is this
>> "truth" or a function of the fact that I am not
>> using the proper regression?  How do I tell with
>> mlogit if the model is sufficient?
>
> Depends on whehter you believe that (some of) the
> individual level variables are intervening or
> confounding variables. Sometimes there are special
> structures in your data that allow you to get some
> empirical handle on which is which, but normally
> you'll just have to rely on your theory. This is
> true for -mlogit- or any other statistical analysis.
>
> -- Maarten
>
> --------------------------
> Maarten L. Buis
> Institut fuer Soziologie
> Universitaet Tuebingen
> Wilhelmstrasse 36
> 72074 Tuebingen
> Germany
>
> http://www.maartenbuis.nl
>

> *
> *   For searches and help try:

Jessi Bishop-Royse

http://sites.google.com/site/wakullagirlssoccer/
http://sites.google.com/site/jessicacbishoproyse/Home

"Without a struggle, there can be no progress."
Fredrick Douglass