Re: AW: st: Adjusting file associations so do-files open in editor?

From   Jeph Herrin <>
Subject   Re: AW: st: Adjusting file associations so do-files open in editor?
Date   Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:24:34 -0400

Not sure if Finder allows this, but in XP and Win 7 I can open
all my Stata files with a "wrapper" do file, so that eg "Open" on
the context menu invokes (where %1 represents the filename):

   stataSE-64.exe do "" %1

The filename is passed via %1 as an argument to; my file does all the usual stuff that should
do, and then parses the filename, taking various actions depending
on whether the extension is .dta, .do, .ado, etc. Eg, if the extension
is ".dta", gets the file size and allocates memory

	d using "`1'", short
	local size = int(r(width)*r(N)*1.5/(2^20))
	local size = max(10,`size')
	set mem `size'm
	use "`1'"

Likewise, I can associate other dofiles (there's nothing special
about the -profile- name in the above, I just use it by convention)
with the context menu item "Edit", etc, and even have different
"Edit" options on the context menu.