RE: st: Estout after xtmixed with ar(1) residuals

From   Dimitris Pavlopoulos <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Estout after xtmixed with ar(1) residuals
Date   Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:20:01 +0100

Dear Thoma,

thank you for your reply. I am doing what you suggest but it doesn't work.

Specifically, in estout, I am using the transformation "transform(ln*: exp(@) exp(@) r_ln*: exp(@) exp(@) at*: tanh(@) (1-tanh(@)^2) r_atr*: tanh(@) (1-tanh(@)^2))", so I am calculating  exp(r_lns2ose). Apparently it's not the correct transormation.

best regards,
Dimitris

From: [email protected] [[email protected]] On Behalf Of Tom Trikalinos [[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:23 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Estout after xtmixed with ar(1) residuals

Just guessing here -- you should be able to work out quickly if I'm
right or wrong.

Typically in an ML routine you would optimize for t=log( of an SD or a variance)
this guarantees that the exp(t) (the SD or the variance) is non negative.

So I'm guessing that to get your variance or SE it should be exp(r_lns2ose)

Similarly for correlations. If they are allowed to range between -1
and 1, one probably optimizes for z=tanh^-1 of the correlation, as the
tanh(z) is bounded between -1 and 1.
However, in an autoregressive model the correlation should be between
0 and 1, no? So I would program the optimization so that the
back-transformation is 0.5*tanh(z)+0.5  -- bounded between 0 and 1.  I
dunno what Stata does.

Please, send an e-mail to the list when you've figured out.

Thomas A Trikalinos MD, PhD

Co-Director Tufts Evidence-based Practice Center
Associate Director, Center for Clinical Evidence Synthesis

Institute for Clinical Research and Health Policy Studies
Tufts Medical Center | 800 Washington St | Boston, 02111 MA

Phone: +1 617 636 0734
Fax:   +1 617 636 8628
email: [email protected]