st: Tostring (string from a numerical variable)

From   carmen gamarra <>
To   stata list <>
Subject   st: Tostring (string from a numerical variable)
Date   Wed, 17 Mar 2010 16:36:13 +0000

 Hi people,
I wanna generate a variable string from a numerical variable that  has negative signe (in front of the number). Is this possible? Because  Stata gives me the following message.

 (tostring  var_1, generate( var_1str)) var_1 cannot be converted reversibly; no generate.

 What must I do? Thanks in advance