st: tab most frequently occurring

From   Richard Goldstein <richgold@ix.netcom.com>
Subject   st: tab most frequently occurring
Date   Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:30:56 -0400

I want to -tabulate- a variable with many (hundreds if not thousands of)
different values; but, I only want to see (a) the 20 (say) most
frequently occurring values and then (b) I want a row for "all others"
and then (c) I want a grand total row

I have searched in various ways for already existing programs but, of
course, I may have missed something (as far as I can see, -fre- will not
do what I want but I would be happy to be shown that I was wrong)

so, two questions:

does anyone know of an already existing program for this?

hints, etc. for writing my own would be welcome also if anyone has any

thanks,

Rich