Re: st: xtmelogit vs hlm

From   Neal Beck <>
Subject   Re: st: xtmelogit vs hlm
Date   Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:32:04 +0100

As OP, turns out that on RTFMing I can easily get HLM and xtmelogit to within 10%, quite good enough for govt work given the differing numerical methods. Why Stata thinks that I might (as a default) want to estimate a mixed model with the random coefficient centered on 0 (that is, no fixed component entered automatically) is well beyond me. But not reading the FM is not a good excuse for assuming that all Stata syntax looks like R syntax (mutatis mutandis). Sorry.

Neal Beck
On leave AY 2009 at the Instituto Juan March, Madrid Spain