RE: st: correcting skewness of an indep variables

From   "Cohen, Elan" <cohened@upmc.edu>
Subject   RE: st: correcting skewness of an indep variables
Date   Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:19:50 -0400

Maarten,

> Another reason for skewness is the presence of a spike ---
> that is, a single value that is very common. In that case
> you could consider adding the variable linearly + a dummy
> indicating whether or not an observations belongs to the
> spike group or not. We would do that, if think that that

Do you know of any references for this type of procedure?  I run into data like this very often, and have never heard of this solution.

Thanks,

- Elan