re: re: st: Simple regression and Multiple regression?

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   re: re: st: Simple regression and Multiple regression?
Date   Sun, 14 Mar 2010 14:32:07 -0400

Rose said

By the way,"Frisch-Waugh-Lovell theorem says that the coefficient of turn should be the same in multiple regression or in a regression
 of price on turn, with the effects of other regressors partialled-off from both." In Woodbridge's book,  the effect of other regressors is only partialled-off from the concerned regressor, not from the dependent variable.
It is also OK, right?
What I  tried in stata told me it was OK.

No, if you fail to partia-offl the other regressors from the dependent variable, you get the same point estimate but a different standard error, t-stat, , R^2, RMS Error, etc. Check the example I gave for

reg epsp epst

versus the regression

reg price epst

You will see that they are not the same.

                              An Introduction to Stata Programming  |