st: Re: svy:ivreg with binary outcome variables

From   Nisha Malhotra <>
Subject   st: Re: svy:ivreg with binary outcome variables
Date   Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:58:49 -0800

Dear Statalisters and life savers,

This the regression we are carrying out

Where D is a dichotomour variable and C is a categorial variables (0-8). D
is endogenouse and is instrumented with (d)

This is for a multistge survey design (Demographic Health Survey).

Given that C is categorical variable - we use linear probability model in
the first dtage despite having a binary variable D - that is we use IVREG
instead for IVprobit.

The problem we face is as follows.

If we run
svy:Ivreg C (D=d) Z

the coefficient on d (9.7) lies outside the categorical range of C. (0-8).

increasing d from 0 to 1 increases C by 9.7 ???

But, in case we ignore issues with the survey design and run a simple

ivreg C (D=d) Z

the coefficient on d lies between 0-8.

Any solutions!

Thanks a ton