Re: st: re: household and person identifiers

From   David Kantor <kantor.d@att.net>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: re: household and person identifiers
Date   Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:53:02 -0500

At 02:35 PM 3/10/2010, Kit wrote:
<>
Johanna wondered

I am working with a dataset where two identifier numbers uniquely identify
an individual. How do I create one identifier from the household and person
identifiers in STATA?

Martin suggested egen,group() but this would seem to be not very handy, as the resulting ID will be an arbitrary integer. When I had to do something like this with directorID (a number) and case code, I did

g dircase = string(directorID)+string(casenr)

That has the advantage of retaining both variables' contents in readable form, and making it string avoids any overflow problems. Naturally you could put in a separator such as +"_"+ in the expression if you wish.

That separator may be necessary to insure uniqueness -- unless you are certain that the length of str(directorID) is constant (which you can insure with an appropriate format,
e.g. str(directorID, "%08.0f")).

HTH
--David