st: xtmixed:comparing strengths of coefficients

From   saurav pathak <>
Subject   st: xtmixed:comparing strengths of coefficients
Date   Tue, 9 Mar 2010 20:39:58 +0000

Dear All
I am using xtmixed in a multilevel analysis. Level 1 is individual level and
Level 2 in social reference group level. In my model I have level-1
variables as well as level-2 variables. I have hypothesized that level-2
variables will have a stronger effect than level-1 variables on the
dependant variable. I needed some help with some statistical method that
could compare the coefficients generated both for level-1 and level-2
variables using xtmixed estimation. The stucture of my command line is as

xtmixed DV level-1_var1 level-1_var2 level-1_var3 level-2_var1 level-2_var2
|| social_reference_group:level-1_var1,variance cov(unstr) mle

How can I say (statistically) looking at level-2 varaible's coefficient that
they have a stronger effect. The results that I get do show greater
magnitude of level-2 coefficients, but they are not standardized coeff. How
can I support my finding that level-2 coeff do really cast a stronger

Kindly help