st: Op. sys. refuses to provide memory - a cautionary tale

From   "Craig, Benjamin M." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Op. sys. refuses to provide memory - a cautionary tale
Date   Tue, 9 Mar 2010 07:16:03 -0500

This posting is based on my recent experience with STATA MP 11 and may
be useful to those who wish to have more memory.

My modest six-month-old Dell PC has 4 GB RAM. Under Stata 9.2, I was
able to set memory to 935MB (see below), but when I installed Stata 11,
the memory was reduced by 50% (470MB). Adjusting the boot.ini or closing
programs had no effect, so I contacted the Stata help desk via email and
received the prompt and effective response (below).

The end of the story is that after a day of tinkering I was able to
increase Stata MP 11 memory to 725MB by installing Windows Service Pack
3. And, I intend to buy a 64-bit machine, once budget allows.

I attribute this issue to Windows, not Stata; however, I hope that this
posting clarifies the issue for other Stata users, particularly those
purchasing a new machine or considering an upgrade to Stata 11.

Cheers,
Ben

Under State 9.2
. qui for X in numlist 100(5)1000: capture set mem Xm . query mem

Current memory allocation

                    current                                 memory usage
    settable          value     description                 (1M = 1024k)
    set maxvar         5000     max. variables allowed           1.733M
    set memory          935M    max. data space                935.000M
    set matsize         400     max. RHS vars in models          1.254M
                                                            -----------
                                                               937.987M

Under Stata MP 11
. qui for X in numlist 100(5)1000: capture set mem Xm . query mem

Current memory allocation

                    current                                 memory usage
    settable          value     description                 (1M = 1024k)
    set maxvar         5000     max. variables allowed           1.909M
    set memory          470M    max. data space                470.000M
    set matsize         400     max. RHS vars in models          1.254M
                                                            -----------
                                                               473.163M

Under Stata MP 11 after installing Windows service pack 3
. qui for X in numlist 100(5)1000: capture set mem Xm . query mem

Current memory allocation

                    current                                 memory usage
    settable          value     description                 (1M = 1024k)
    set maxvar         5000     max. variables allowed           1.909M
    set memory          725M    max. data space                725.000M
    set matsize        6900     max. RHS vars in models        363.815M
                                                             1,090.724M