st: Generating numeric ids

From   Dmitriy Krichevskiy <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: Generating numeric ids
Date   Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:01:14 -0500

Dear Statalisters,
I have a large panel dataset creators of which decided to encrypt the
participants IDs via some unknown algorithm to covert them (original
id numbers) into strings. I am stock trying to figure out how to
create unique numerical identifiers from these given that the data is
panel (in the long format). I provide a small example below. As always
your help is much appreciated.Thanks, Dmitriy

    ID                         V 1                          V2
AAAAPTNE7		.		                 .
AAAAPTNE7		.		                 .
AAAARCOO7		1                         2002-2003
AAACACRI7		2	                   2004-2005
AAACAMCP3		1	                   2006-2007
AAACARIC9		1                         2002-2003

Research Associate, College of Education
Lumina Foundation Project