st: Regression analysis with a minimum function on the RHS

From   "Sebastian van Baal" <s.vanbaal@arcor.de>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: Regression analysis with a minimum function on the RHS
Date   Fri, 5 Mar 2010 16:51:00 +0100

Dear Stata Users:

I attempt to fit a regression model that has a minimum function on the
right-hand side. My current working solution is to use nonlinear least
squares:

. nl ( y = {b0} + min({b1}*x1 , {b2}*x2) )

Being admittedly unexperienced with nonlinear least squares, I am unsure if
this is correct. I have not seen an application of nonlinear least squares
(or any other form of regression analysis) involving a minimum function.
Would you say that is the correct way to proceed?

Advance thanks for any hints you can give me.

Sebastian van Baal
Cologne, Germany