Re: st: RE: How to get a list of the names of characters associated with a variable

From   Austin Nichols <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: How to get a list of the names of characters associated with a variable
Date   Thu, 4 Mar 2010 16:20:12 -0500

Clyde Schechter:
Try this example:

prog lookfc
version 8.2
syntax [varlist], t(string)
foreach v of varlist `varlist' {
 loc c: char `v'[]
 loc nall 0
 foreach i of local c {
  loc j: char `v'[`i']
  loc k: subinstr loc j `"`t'"' "", all count(loc n)
  loc nall=`nall'+`n'
 if `nall' > 0 {
  loc var `var' `v'
if "`var'"!="" ds `var'
sysuse auto, clear
note mpg: inverse of good measure
lookfc, t(meas)

One problem with using index() or strpos() is that they will truncate
strings; according to -help limits-, the maximum length of the
contents of a characteristic is 8,681 characters for Small Stata and
67,784 characters for Stata/IC, Stata/SE, and Stata/MP.