RE: st: R for Stata Users

From   "Cohen, Elan" <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   RE: st: R for Stata Users
Date   Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:01:36 -0500

> knowledge stops. I am still lost at the differences between
> lists, data
> frames, matrices and whatever other objects R might have

Having been an R user for about 10 years (mostly as a student), I've always considered it more of a "programming language" than a pure statistical package.  For instance, teaching an intro statistics course to non-technical students using R is a nightmare.  But it was perfect for thesis work.  I also use it often for parsing text (having never learned perl).

This is the line I give people regarding R:  It's easy to do difficult things but hard to do simple things.

- Elan