RE: st: How to make ID as 01 instead of 1

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: How to make ID as 01 instead of 1
Date   Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:04:36 -0000

The thread is a little cold here, but this advice can be improved on any way.

If you want a string equivalent of a single-digit numeric identifier, then you can do it directly by

gen strid = "0" + string(id)

Firing up -tostring- is firing up a more general, fairly complicated command with hundreds of lines of code, and quite unnecessary here.

However, this solution is not good For multiple digit identifiers. In that case, use -string()- with a format argument or just change the format so that leading zeros are displayed. These points were probably made in the thread in December.

Hung Ðoàn Quang

You can try to use the following command
tostring ID, replace
gen strID = "0" + ID

It is hopeful that can help you.