AW: st: RE: creating variables using 'by' for subsets of records

Subject   AW: st: RE: creating variables using 'by' for subsets of records
Date   Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:13:54 +0100

<>

Several issues pose themselves here. A solution could be something like
this:

*************
clear*

inp str10 Individual region Indicator
A 1 0
B 1 1
C 2 1
D 2 1
end

encode Individual, gen(id)
compress

bys region: egen countofindicator =total(Indicator)
by region: gen ratio=countofindicator/_N
li, noo
*************

" I have attempted
to use bys region: egen y=count if Indicator==1 but receive an invalid
syntax error.  "

The -egen- function "count()" demands an argument which it is supposed to
count. That is why you get an error. Furthermore, the "count" function
merely counts nonmissing arguments, no matter what their value may be. The
appropriate function to sum up values is -total()-, as seen in the example.
To get a total of all observations defined by the -by- groups, you can also
use "_N", see [U], 13.7.2.

(And do not even get started on -sum()-, see
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-04/msg00699.html.)

" As an aside, is there a way to specify the variable y/x without specifying
and x?"

Finally, getting all of this in one fell swoop is difficult, or rather
impossible once an -egen- function is involved. Doing this step by step
helps when debugging...

HTH
Martin