Re: st: RE: creating variables using 'by' for subsets of records

From   John Westbury <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: creating variables using 'by' for subsets of records
Date   Tue, 23 Feb 2010 20:45:15 -0600

Thanks much for the feedback.  Here is an example of what the data looks
like that I am using:

  Individual region Indicator  A 1 0  B 1 1  C 2 1  D 2 1
I have encoded the regions and the ratio I am attempting to create would be
intuitively expressed as:
by region: count of indicator==1/count of individual.

I am trying to create a variable for the numerator by region (call it y) and
denominator by region (call it x) and then use gen ratio=y/x.
I can create a variable (x) for the denominator using; bys region: egen
x=count(Indicator).
I am having trouble creating a variable for the numerator.  I have attempted
to use bys region: egen y=count if Indicator==1 but receive an invalid
syntax error.  If someone has a suggestion on how to specify a variable for
a count of indicator==1 by region I would be very appreciative.

As an aside, is there a way to specify the variable y/x without specifying y
and x?

thanks

John