st: re: Method for first stage, in xtivreg

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: re: Method for first stage, in xtivreg
Date   Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:02:48 -0500

Hans said

And get the first stage results. That is fine, but I would like to
know how it estimates the first stage. I tried to replicate the first
stage with OLS, RE, BE, FE etc... I cannot get the same results? I
wonder why?

The discussion of Methods and Formulas in the [XT] xtivreg manual
entry, for each method, seems perfectly clear. For instance, for
method FE, after demeaning the within estimator is a two-stage least-
squares regression of \ytilde on \Ztilde with instruments \Xtilde.
The FSRs are thus regressions of each \Ztilde on all of the \Xtilde.
In their notation Z = Y + X1, where Y are included endogenous and X1
are included exogenous. X = X1 + X2 where X2 are excluded exogenous.
All straightforward IV setup.

                              An Introduction to Stata Programming  |