st: re:

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: re:
Date   Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:12:00 -0500

Hans said

And get the first stage results. That is fine, but I would like to know how it estimates the first stage. I tried to replicate the first stage with OLS, RE, BE, FE etc... I cannot get the same results? I wonder why?

The discussion of Methods and Formulas in the [XT] xtivreg manual entry, for each method, seems perfectly clear. For instance, for method FE, after demeaning the within estimator is a two-stage least- squares regression of \ytilde on \Ztilde with instruments \Xtilde. The FSRs are thus regressions of each \Ztilde on all of the \Xtilde. In their notation Z = Y + X1, where Y are included endogenous and X1 are included exogenous. X = X1 + X2 where X2 are excluded exogenous. All straightforward IV setup.