Re: st: spatwmat "matrix not symmetric"

From   Scott Merryman <scott.merryman@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: spatwmat "matrix not symmetric"
Date   Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:13:09 -0600

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Richard Palmer-Jones
<rpjstatalist@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear readers
>
> I get an error from spatwmat which I cannot explain.
>
> The file is square (455 rows & columns), and has values 0/1 in each row

<snip>

Though your data may be square, it not symmetric.  You might try -help
mata makesymmetric- or search for the observations that causing the
problem.

To create the eigenvalues -spatwmat- calls  -matrix symeigen- which is
generating the error.

Scott