Re: st: spatwmat "matrix not symmetric"

From   Scott Merryman <>
Subject   Re: st: spatwmat "matrix not symmetric"
Date   Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:13:09 -0600

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Richard Palmer-Jones
<> wrote:
> Dear readers
> I get an error from spatwmat which I cannot explain.
> The file is square (455 rows & columns), and has values 0/1 in each row

Though your data may be square, it not symmetric.  You might try -help
mata makesymmetric- or search for the observations that causing the

To create the eigenvalues -spatwmat- calls  -matrix symeigen- which is
generating the error.