RE: st: Reading large data sets in Stata

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: Reading large data sets in Stata
Date   Mon, 22 Feb 2010 18:11:19 +0100

" That's 13Gb of data, right?"

Depends very much on the " Average width per variable", as seen in
If they were all just binary vars, the dataset described by Jibonayan could
be below 2G.

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Stas Kolenikov
Sent: Montag, 22. Februar 2010 17:49
Subject: Re: st: Reading large data sets in Stata

That's 13Gb of data, right? If you really want to put everything into
memory, then you would probably need a computer with 24Gb of RAM. I don't
really know if you can buy anything like that in the desktop format, and
what kind of OS you would need to look at, although I am sure there are
clusters with much larger memory capacities. If you only need subsets of
that data set, then you could

use <list of the variables that you REALLY need> if <subsetting to the
conditions you REALLY want to analyze> using <this huge data set name>

That way, you may have a data set of a more realistic 2Gb size that you can
work with on a 4Gb RAM machine.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Jibonayan Raychaudhuri <> wrote:

> Dear Statalist Users,
> I have a large data set with  48249390 observations (rows) and 37
> (columns). I am currently using SAS 9.1 to work on this data set. I want
> use Stata/MP to work on this data set. I have version 11.0/MP (dual core).
> Could anyone please let me know a computer specification (i.e. hardware
> specifications) that will enable me to work on this data set with Stata
> 11.0? I need to enter the data, generate variables, sort, etc. Thanks in
> advance for the help.
> Best Regards,
> Jibonayan
> *