st: RE: AW: recoding a variable

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: AW: recoding a variable
Date   Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:15:30 -0800

A small comment: (Martin did cover this in his later post)
Be wary of replacing a variable you are recoding.  It's usually better to maintain the original data - you never know when someone will ask you for a dichotomy cutting at 0.75, etc.  Also, my comment from a few days ago about why do this still holds.  You lose information.

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Martin Weiss
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:53 AM
Subject: st: AW: recoding a variable

replace var=var>.5

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Data Analytics
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 18. Februar 2010 01:12
Betreff: st: recoding a variable

I got some very good quick advice on a looping question I asked
earlier.  I have another question.  Suppose I have a variable with
values that range between 0 ands 1.  I simply want to recode this so
that any value greater than 0.5 becomes a 1, and 0 otherwise.  How do I
do this?

Walter R. Paczkowski, Ph.D.
Data Analytics Corp.
44 Hamilton Lane