Re: st: Martin and Maarten

From   Richard Williams <Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.edu>
To   "statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu" <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>, "statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu" <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: Martin and Maarten
Date   Thu, 18 Feb 2010 10:20:56 -0500

At 09:48 AM 2/18/2010, Stas Kolenikov wrote:
I think Maarten and Martin should sign their emails Dr. Buis and Dr. Weiss,
respectively. That still may lead to confusion if you read these names as
"bice" and "wice", and your "b" sounds are similar to "w" sounds, but that
confusion may only happen at social gatherings after a few drinks.

I still think it would be a lot easier if one of them would just change their name to Joe. In Maaarten's case, this would have the added advantage of not having his name misspelled all the time.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam