st: RE: ivreg versus xtivreg

Subject   st: RE: ivreg versus xtivreg
Date   Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:43:41 -0000

Sara,

It's not a problem.

You will note that xtivreg2 does not report the fixed effect dummy
variables.

xi: ivreg2 explicitly includes the dummies, and the coefficients are
reported.

The warning message reported by ivreg2 is triggered by the fact that
there are now many more rows/columns in the VCV, the new, extended VCV
is no longer full rank.

In fact, the coefficients and standard errors for the dummies aren't
consistent anyway (under the usual panel data assumptions - this is the
"incidental parameters problem").  So you really aren't interested in
the extended VCV anyway.

HTH,
Mark

> thank you
> sara

registered under charity number SC000278.