st: RE: re: ivreg2, cluster vs. state fixed effects

Subject   st: RE: re: ivreg2, cluster vs. state fixed effects
Date   Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:21:49 -0000

Nirina,

As Kit says, the new ivreg2 supports 2-level clustering.  But do read
the help file and/or the referenced papers (Cameron et. al and Thompson
- full details in the references section of ivreg2 help) and make sure
it does what you want and that you have the data to do it.

In particular, the asymptotics for 2-level clustering requires that the
numbers of clusters go off to infinity in both dimensions.

Thus, in your case, you want the number of states to go off to infinity,
and current practice seems to be that 50 is far enough along the way to
infinity to get decent results.

But you also need the number of years to go off to infinity.  The papers
cited above have some guidance on what this means in practice, i.e., how
many years of data do you need in order to get decent results.

HTH,
Mark

registered under charity number SC000278.