Re: st: What multiple regression model for extreme distributions

From   Ronan Conroy <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: What multiple regression model for extreme distributions
Date   Tue, 2 Feb 2010 18:29:53 +0000

On 2 Feabh 2010, at 15:09, muhammed abdul khalid wrote:

I have a household income survey data ( 38,000 observations), and my
problem is doing a multiple regression on saving ( independent var) to
etc( dependent var).

The problem is this : 70% of my observation for the value of saving is

Then this sounds like a two-stage model. The first model predicts whether the family saves or not, the second predicts how much they save, conditional on their saving at all. I would be wary of predicting everything in a single model - the determinants of how much may not be the same as the determinants of whether.

Ronan Conroy
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
Epidemiology Department,
Beaux Lane House, Dublin 2, Ireland
+353 (0)1 402 2431
+353 (0)87 799 97 95
+353 (0)1 402 2764 (Fax - remember them?)

P    Before printing, think about the environment