RE:st: Censored observation in survival data

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   stata list <[email protected]>
Subject   RE:st: Censored observation in survival data
Date   Tue, 2 Feb 2010 16:15:39 +0000 (GMT)

--- Nikolaos Pandis wrote:
> Somehow I do not receive a posting from Maarten. Perhaps, it will
> show up later.

No need to wait, you can always look at one of the archives:
<http://www.stata.com/statalist/index.html>, so in this case
<http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/lwgate/STATALIST/archives
/statalist.1002/date/article-96.html> or <http://www.stata.com/
statalist/archive/2010-02/msg00101.html>

> Anyways, is it correct to assume that you enter the censored
> observations as missing (.)?

No, the time variable is not entered as missing, but either as
the final date/time that the observation was observed, or the
length of time that the observation was observed. It is absolutely
crucial that you do not loose that information if you want to
perform a survival analysis afterwards. As I said in the previous
post, you identify whether that point in time refers to an event
or censoring by adding a second variable, which is 1 when the
event occured and 0 otherwise (i.e. censored).

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie