Re: st: Censored observation in survival data

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Censored observation in survival data
Date   Tue, 2 Feb 2010 07:12:06 -0800 (PST)

--- On Tue, 2/2/10, Nikolaos Pandis wrote:
> When you enter survival data (before stset) how do you
> declare an observation as being censored? How do we let the
> software know to make the distinction between the failures
> and the censored observations during the predefined
> follow-up time?

you typically add a second variable (often called died) which
is 1 if the observation experienced the event and 0 otherwise.
If the variable died is still 0 at the final record for an
observation then that implies that that observation is censored.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen