Re: st: reshape question

From   Michael Norman Mitchell <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: reshape question
Date   Mon, 01 Feb 2010 15:22:24 -0800

Dear Alan

Dyad data is always crazy. Here is a solution I came up with. I don't think it is elegant, but I think it does get the job done...

clear
input dyad   hr1  hr2  sr1  sr2  gr1  gr2
1  1.2  .6  6  7  1  1
2  4.3  2.3  5  9  -1  -1
3  .4  .6  3  4  1  1
4  .3  .5  6  8  1  1
5  3.2  1  2  6  -1  -1
6  1.1  .8  3  8  1  1
7  2  1.5  5  7  1  1
8  .4  1.6  7  4  -1  -1
9  .3  .5  3  3  1  1
10  3.2  2  5  8  1  1
11  .8  2.1  8  5  -1  -1
12  2.3  2.5  5  7  -1  -1
13  1  2  4  6  1  1
14  2.5  1.5  6  7  1  1
15  2  .5  5  6  1  1
16  1.8  2.6  7  4  -1  -1
17  4.3  2  2  4  -1  -1
18  1  2  4  4  -1  -1
19  2.5  2.5  6  5  -1  -1
20  1  .5  3  4  -1  -1
end

/*
dyad person      gr  sr    hr1  hr2
1        1        1   6    1.2   .6
1        2       1    7     .6    1.2
2        1       -1   5    4.3  2.3
2        2       -1   9    2.3   4.3
*/

reshape long hr sr gr, i(dyad) j(person)
save t1, replace

* get hr1 info
use t1, clear
keep dyad person hr
rename hr hr1
save t2, replace

* get hr2 info, by transposing row 1 and 2
use t1, clear
keep dyad person hr
replace person = 3 - person
rename hr hr2
save t3, replace

* merge them together
use t1
merge 1:1 dyad person using t2, gen(m1)
merge 1:1 dyad person using t3, gen(m2)

I hope that helps!

Best regards,

Michael N. Mitchell
See the Stata tidbit of the week at...
http://www.MichaelNormanMitchell.com
Visit me on Facebook at...
http://www.facebook.com/MichaelNormanMitchell

Alan Acock wrote:
Kenney, Kashy, & Cook. Dyadic Data Analysis Has a wide dataset that looks like this:

dyad hr1 hr2 sr1 sr2 gr1 gr2
1 1.2 .6 6 7 1 1
2 4.3 2.3 5 9 -1 -1
3 .4 .6 3 4 1 1
4 .3 .5 6 8 1 1
5 3.2 1 2 6 -1 -1
6 1.1 .8 3 8 1 1
7 2 1.5 5 7 1 1
8 .4 1.6 7 4 -1 -1
9 .3 .5 3 3 1 1
10 3.2 2 5 8 1 1
11 .8 2.1 8 5 -1 -1
12 2.3 2.5 5 7 -1 -1
13 1 2 4 6 1 1
14 2.5 1.5 6 7 1 1
15 2 .5 5 6 1 1
16 1.8 2.6 7 4 -1 -1
17 4.3 2 2 4 -1 -1
18 1 2 4 4 -1 -1
19 2.5 2.5 6 5 -1 -1
20 1 .5 3 4 -1 -1

Where the dyads are interchangeable (same sex roomates). hr1 is time roommate arbitrarily labeled 1 works on housekeeping, hr2 is same for roommate labeled 2, sr1 is roommate's 1' satisfaction, sr2 is the partner's satisfaction, gr1 and gr2 are their genders. He wants it in a sort of long format,

dyad person gr sr hr1 hr2
1 1 1 6 1.2 .6
1 2 1 7 .6 1.2
2 1 -1 5 4.3 2.3
2 2 -1 9 2.3 4.3

Dyad, person, and gr and sr are in long format, but hr1 and hr2 are not. Also, in row 1 we have hr1 then hr2 as in the wide dataset, but in row two we have hr2 for the first person in the hr1 column and hr1 for the first person in the hr2 column.

He then runs a SAS command
proc mixed covtest;
class dyadid;
model sr = hr1 hr2 / solution
ddfm=satterth;
repeated / type = cs subject = dyadid;

I can run
reshape long sr gr, i(dyad) j(person)
but this doesn't do the hr1 the way they need them. The results show how much a person's time (actor) doing chores influences their own satisfaction and how much a partner's time doing chores influences the actor's satisfaction.

How can I reshape the data to duplicate their result.

Alan Acock

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search