Re: st: file write and LaTeX table

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: file write and LaTeX table
Date   Sun, 31 Jan 2010 09:47:33 -0500

<>
Yes, I am using Unix. But I do not see why, even if Windows considers \\ to mean something special when given in an OS command, why it would (or could) intervene in a program writing ASCII to a text file. There is an issue with the DOS backslash being interpreted as an 'escape character' (as Nick Cox colourfully describes the 'backstabbing backslash')

http://ideas.repec.org/a/tsj/stataj/v8y2008i3p446-447.html

but that should not intervene here. (His advice is to use the forward slash, /, in all filesystem references, as Stata will translate that to backslash if using Windows).

Another user who does use Windows said they had no problem, so it would be interesting to see why you are having difficulties with file write handle " ..... \\ ".

Kit