st: Using data from other dataset for -gen-

From   "Kaulisch, Marc" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Using data from other dataset for -gen-
Date   Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:40:26 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

I have a problem I am not able to solve and it might be that someone else has a good solution at hand (using Stata 10 or 11).

My aim is to generate variables indicating if a person is in a certain context.
Dataset 1 looks like
Person_id context1 context2 context3 context4 context5

The context*-variables contain numerical values that identify certain institutions (institution_id). The real meaning/names of the institutions is given in the Dataset 2:
Institution_id short_name abbreviation institution_nr

At the end I would like to do the following for each in Dataset 1:

. egen co`institution_nr' = incss(context*), sub(`institution_id')
. la var co`institution_nr' "Recent context `abbreviation' `shortname'"

But how do I get the information I need to do this in Dataset1 from Dataset 2?

I tried to do this with generating locals from dataset 2:
. levelsof institution_id, local(institution_id)

But then I loose the right connection between institution_id and the other vars in dataset2.

Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks a lot.

Marc

iFQ
Institut für Forschungsinformation und Qualitätssicherung
Godesberger Allee 90
53175 Bonn, Germany
Tel.: *49 - 228 - 9 72 73 - 25
Fax: *49 - 228 - 9 72 73 - 49