st: truncation problem with an exponential : way around?

From   László Sándor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: truncation problem with an exponential : way around?
Date   Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:52:06 -0500

Hi all,

I ran into a standard problem when coding up an estimator : at a point
to use simply Bayes' rule, I thought I'd calculate proper likelihood
from log-likelihood. This broke down very fast for any test runs, and
now I know why : the number got that big that it became meaningless on
a computer.

If I want to keep my code general, so I cannot simply rescale this or
that variable, what else could I do? What is the normal way out?
(I hope there is something more ready-made than the need to code up a
generic rescaling subroutine.)

Thanks so much,

Laszlo

László Sándor