RE: st: help creating a table of means and diffs with svy data

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: help creating a table of means and diffs with svy data
Date   Wed, 27 Jan 2010 19:24:34 -0000

I really don't know why you are asking such a question.

First off, although it hardly needs stating, only a matter of weeks ago
I wrote on Statalist in

<http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-11/msg01017.html>

"I personally deplore plagiarism of code just as you do. I
just happen to believe that in practice it is not at all easy to
establish plagiarism of code."

The second sentence is gratuitous here but I leave it in any way.

Second, my comment had nothing to do with plagiarism. My comment was
just to underline that my code is open to academic and non-academic
users, and if anyone wants to wonder if there is a difference, academic
and non-academic uses.

I won't attempt to decode what you meant, "obviously" or otherwise. I
doubt that anyone else is unclear on what I meant.

Roy Wada

> I want to make it plain that any code written by me and put in the
> public domain is equally open to all users, academics and
non-academics

That sounds just about right. So let me expand on that: by open source
or public domain anyone, including acadmics and non-acadmics, can make
use of the codes, including mine.

However, I will have issues with professional plagiarists who take
these codes and republish them under their name. Given the recent
history, that is obviously what was meant by me.

Nick, am I correct that you not are telling people to take your codes,
wipe your name out, replace it with theirs, move things around, and
republish it under their name?